Sunday, July 13, 2014

Celebration and Crisis in July

Yep...when we are able, we celebrate the 4th of July even in the middle of Siberia! This year we joined our fellow worker Doug and his family for an afternoon of food, hikes, and just some time to relax in the woods. We didn't have fireworks or sparklers this year, but it was fun just the same watching their kids play American football, having a pine cone war, and chasing their dogs away from the food on the grill!

"Shashlik" or kebobs on the grill!!! YUMMY

Team mate's kids and Kevin on the hike....

Doug with his kids in 'tower' they found.
My Siberian Cowboy  :)   
We (the Moms), let everyone enjoy a hike while we rested and caught up on more important things. (Actually, we were just too full to go anywhere at that point!)

The end of June, we were greeted one afternoon by a group of believers up from Mongolia. One of the gentlemen had been here before to visit his relatives. He has a huge burden to share the Truth with them and has made the long journey many times. He brought some friends this time and stopped by the church to say "hello" and have tea! (Mongolians drink tea with salt and's an acquired taste!) What a HUGE blessing to fellowship with 'family' from other cultures and countries!
Group from Mongolia.

Crisis hits our fellowship....A little over two weeks ago, one of our 'kids' was coming home from the river with his sister and some friends. When it's hot here, EVERYONE goes to the river to cool off! The road they take is well known to all from this area, so driving along this particular road is usually done with caution. This time was not one of those days. The driver had been drinking, it was four in the afternoon, and was returning home with friends. He didn't see Maxim (Maxeem) in time and hit his bike, not the boy, sending Maxim flying through the air and landing on his head. He was immediately taken to the hospital here in the village by another car that came upon the accident. After a couple of hours, the doctors here were wise enough to realize they needed someone with more experience to take a look at this boy. Within six hours after the accident, a team of doctors from the city were here deciding what would be best for Maxim. They felt he needed better care and equipment to aide in his recovery and after three days a plane was called to take Max to the city children's hospital! For most of us, this seems like 'no big deal'; for a village in Siberia, this was a HUGE deal! We are so grateful for the prayers that have been lifted for Maxim. We feel it is the reason they called for specialists and for the plane that was sent to take him to a better facility. He was in a comma for 12 days and is now awake, however, he is totally paralyzed at this point and unable to speak. There is still some swelling of the brain but he breathes on his own and recognizes voices. PLEASE continue to remember this little guy, he's only five, and pray for his family as well. (Our latest news from the doctors is that most of his brain is 'dead' and most likely there isn't much more to do....we are praying as to what we should do next, if anything more!)

Natasha and Maxim in May

Max's Grandmother and sister, Natasha, at the hospital...

Loading Maxim onto the plane from our village, first time
locals remember a plane being used for an

Taking off for Ulan Ude....
Through all of this with Maxim, we've seen growth in the fellowship. Of course, there are lots of questions as to 'why', however, we are learning what true faith looks like and how to"5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." Prov. 3:5,6   Thank you to all who pray for us and remember the folks here as well!!  

We are so very blessed!!  
   Kevin & Laura

“Faith takes God without any ifs.” ~ D.L. Moody